Our Founders



Myron Marsh

1865 – 1938



Source: Obituary in Bluefield Daily Telegraph



Myron Marsh, 73, ardent sportsman, pioneer hotel man of this region and most widely known resident of Bluefield, died yesterday morning [Dec 1, 1938] at the residence of his son. Myron "Hill” Marsh Jr., in Mullins.


Mr. Marsh was born in Norwich, Conn., in 1865, at the home of his mother who was, before her marriage, Miss Eliza Hyde.


However, Mr. Marsh always referred to Natchez, Mississippi as his home place. It was there that his father. Cyrus Marsh maintained a trading post and two plantations before the Civil war. Mr. Marsh's father fought for the Confederate forces in the conflict.


As the time of Mr. Marsh's birth drew near, his father managed to have his wife passed through the battle lines so she could go to the home of her parents in Connecticut. Mr. Marsh delighted in telling the antic dote to his friends here. After hostilities ceased the family was reunited in Natchez where Cyrus Marsh continued his trading business. Myron Marsh attended Natchez public schools and later took a business training course in Cincinnati.


Forty-four years ago [1894] he came to Bluefield as a representative of the Standard Oil Company. Prospering here, he entered the hotel business as manager of the old Windsor Hotel which is now the Commercial Hotel. Later he moved to the Bluefield Inn, now the division offices of the Norfolk and Western, in the same capacity. He was the manager of the establishment before it was disbanded as a hostelry. He returned to the Commercial Hotel as owner in 1914 and remained there until several years ago.      


Mr. Marsh then retired to Marshfield, a large farm in Giles County near Kine, Va., but always managed to retain several business contacts in hotel and restaurant enterprises here.


An ardent, fisherman and hunter, his excursions after game took him to many parts of the country.


He married Salina E. Edward, of Missouri, in 1899 at Pueblo; Colo. Of this union there were three sons, all of whom survive. Mrs. Marsh died in 1915. He then married Miss Flo Edwards, of Bluefield. She died in 1924.


Mr. Marsh was a member of the First Baptist church here. He had passed all degrees at the Masonic Order and was a life member the Benevolent Order of Elks.


Death was attributed to Brights disease. He had been ill for the past three weeks and was removed to Mullens two weeks ago after his condition had become critical. An improvement in his condition appeared apparent early Wednesday night, but during the early morning hours he took a turn for the worse, and died at 4:00 o'clock.


News of Mr. Marsh's passing occasioned deep sorrow throughout this section where he enjoyed a wide acquaintance and a large circle of close friends.


The body will be taken to Richmond, VA where funeral services will be held at 10:30 Saturday morning. Burial will follow in the family plot there.


Surviving are his  three  sons Myron, Jr., of Mullens; John, of Cleveland, and Roy, of Dante, VA. He also leaves one brother and two sisters, B. H. Marsh, of Greensboro, N. C., and Mrs. May Foster and Mrs., L O. West, of Virginia Beach. Mr. Marsh's mother died last year at the ripe old age of 101 years.


Founder's Page

Home Page