Charles H. “Dan” Goodykoontz, 1881 - 1943
Source: Bluefield Daily Telegraph
Charles H. “Dan” Goodykoontz, a founder of Goodykoontz Drug Store in Bluefield, was born in 1881 at East Radford, Virginia, the son of George W. and Mary Goodykoontz. His wife, the former Silene Rhea was the daughter of William Francis Rhea, a Congressman from Virginia’s Ninth District. They had two sons, Dr. C. H. Goodykoontz Jr. and William F. Goodykoontz. His wife, sons and two grandchildren survived him at the time of his death in July 1943. In addition, he was survived by one brother, Harry A. Goodykoontz, also affiliated with the Goodykoontz Drug company, and one sister, Mrs. Thomas Lawrence of East Radford, VA.
Dan Goodykoontz was a past president of the State Pharmaceutical association, a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, a member of all the Masonic organizations, a member of the Rotary Club, the Chamber of Commerce and the Elks club. He was also a member of the First Presbyterian Church.
He contributed much to the Civic and Commercial life of Greater Bluefield, a man who represented the highest type of citizenship and one who was held in high esteem by all who knew him. At his death, Goodykoontz had been a resident of Bluefield for more than 40 years. He came here about 1902, shortly after his graduation from the Maryland College of Pharmacy and formed a partnership with the late John L. Crockett, the firm being known as Crockett and Goodykoontz Drug company, and was operated at corner of Princeton Ave and Tazewell street in the building later occupied by Franklin Dairy Products store. A few years later, the partnership was dissolved and Dan Goodykoontz relocated to Bristol for a short time. It was during his residence in Bristol that he met and married his wife Silene.
After his marriage he returned to Bluefield in 1907 and organized the Goodykoontz Drug Company. This organization evolved through the purchase of the Wilson Drug Store which operated on Mercer street at the corner of Bluefield Avenue in the rear of the old Cox Department store, and the Dexter Seagle Drug store on Bluefield Avenue, just opposite the Stuckman service station. When the Martin Building was erected on the southwest corner of Bluefield Avenue and Mercer Street, Mr. Goodykoontz combined the two stores and moved into the new building under the name of the Bluefield Pharmacy. This store continued in operation for many years.
Later Dan Goodykoontz opened the East End Pharmacy, on Princeton Avenue, and in 1923 established the Fairview Pharmacy in the Fairview Apartment building, corner Bland and South streets, which building he erected.
Mr. Goodykoontz was very successful in business life, possessing a most pleasing personality, and courteous at all times. He helped many of his customers throughout his more than two score years of business in Bluefield. He was a progressive citizen and had taken an active part in numerous enterprises which were designed to enhance the development of the commercial and civic life of this community.
Mr. Goodykoontz died at his home in the Showalter Apartments, corner of Augusta Street and Ferndell Avenue. Death was due to heart a heart attack and followed an illness of 10 years. At his funeral, employees of the Goodykoontz Drug company were active pallbearers and Rotary Club members were flower bearers.